Thursday, July 28, 2016

Day 40 Baraboo, WI to Beaver Dam, WI

Our cue sheets for yesterday and today said "Baraboo, WI" on them, but we were actually in West Baraboo last night and this morning.  I'm sorry, West Baraboo.

Today's forecast called for possible rain in the afternoon, so I carried my poncho and shoe covers with me.  Fortunately, I never needed them.  It was cloudy and overcast all day, but it never rained, and the temperatures were in the low 70s.  Except for an occasional light head wind, it was perfect!

We left West Baraboo, drove through (regular) Baraboo, and eventually rode through Devil's Lake State Park.  It was really pretty in there.  



After we left the state park, we rode through some marshy areas.  Surprisingly enough, at the time, we were on Marsh Road.  


One of the highlights of today's ride was the ferry ride from Merrimac to the other side of Lake Wisconsin.  It runs on cables, which you can see in the water in the second picture.  It's a small ferry that only carries about 15 cars.  It's free and runs all day.




Here's another view of Lake Wisconsin, which is actually a reservoir in the Wisconsin River.  It's really large and has lots of home (and vacation homes?) along its shores.


We rode along country roads, up and down and up and down, turning left and right and left and right, all day long.  I felt like I was riding in circles again, and without mountains or anything to guide me, I never knew in which direction I was riding.  

We rode by corn and soybean fields, marshes, woods, bird refuges, and farms.  We rode through a few small towns, and the further east we get, the older the houses get.  I really like them.  All in all, it was a peaceful day.  


Several times I saw sandhill cranes in the fields.  They are beautiful birds, especially in flight, which I was never able to capture on film.



This donkey and horse were interested in what was going on in the road.


I love this circular barn!


It wasn't hot, and we only rode 65 miles, but no matter.  Chippy's was waiting for us in Beaver Dam, near the end of our ride.



Tonight we're staying in dorms at Wayland Academy, a private boarding school in Beaver Dam, WI.  It's a college prep high school that has students from all over the US and the world.  According to its website, it's the oldest continuously coed boarding school in the US.  The dorm we're staying in is REALLY nice, much nicer than any of the college dorms we've been in.


Fun Fact:  Fred MacMurray (of "My Three Sons" fame) was from Beaver Dam.  We learned tonight that in the show, when he was sitting in his chair, reading the newspaper, it was always the current issue of the Beaver Dam Daily Citizen.  

1 comment: