Monday, July 4, 2016

Day 16 Jackson, WY to Dubois, WY

When I said that all those other days were awesome and the scenery was amazing, I was wrong.  Today's ride was the best.  There are no words to describe how really great it was.

We left Jackson, and almost immediately got on a great bike path that took us to Grand Teton National Park.


The Grand Tetons are spectacular.  The pictures say it all, and even then, they can't show how awesome they look in real life.




At one point, the bike path went through a tunnel, and a fox was in there with its food.


There's a kiosk along the bike path so that bicyclists can pay the $15 park entrance fee.  Barb is all paid up.


More Teton magnificence.




Barb is riding away from the Tetons.


Me and those Tetons.


Jackson Lake.



This is Oxbow Bend.


Another lunch stop with a view, and they have a map that shows our progress.  



Today, we rode up Togwotee Pass.  Here's Barb heading up the hill.


Kelly and Barb are taking a water break before pedaling up and up again.


Uh oh!  Bears!  No vehicles!  Fortunately, no bears were on the road today.  Much later, I found out that just a couple weeks ago, grizzlies were sighted at the pass!!  If I had seen a bear, I would've broken land speed records getting back down the mountain.



We had a 17-mile climb, with 2% to 6% grades, but I made it!  Here I am at Togwotee Pass (also the Continental Divide).  It's 9,584 feet above sea level, the highest I've ever been on my bike, and this time I pedaled all the way!  (As we were taking our pictures, some men got out of a car to take their pictures.  I said they could only take pictures if they rode their bikes up.  They laughed, but ignored me and took their pictures anyway.)


There was a 9-mile descent, and it was really scary.  The winds were really strong, and I thought that some of the gusts were going to either knock me off my bike or push me into the road.  Here is a view on the other side of the pass.  


The scenery has really changed.  Near Dubois (pronounced DU-boys), the landscape has changed.  There are fewer trees, more sagebrush, and some beautiful "painted" hills.



We're staying at the really nice Headwaters Art-Conference Center.  After dark, we were treated to a great fireworks show put on by the town.  For such a small town (population 971), the show was very impressive!  

3 comments: