Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Day 17 Dubois, WY to Riverton, WY

I wish I had more time in Dubois.  As we were leaving town, I saw museums, a Bighorn Sheep center, art stores, etc., and a cute downtown.  There's a lot more there than you'd think there'd be in a town of that size.  Unfortunately, we had another destination:  Riverton.

Most of the day we rode through the Wind River Valley and the Wind River Indian Reservation.

I loved all the colors, especially how they looked in the early morning light.




We got quite a few views of the Wind River.


Those thicker bands of red sandstone in the second picture below looked to be about two stories high as I rode past them!




We passed over the Wind River again and again.  It provided a green oasis of trees and grasses in the desert.



The landscape was quite different than yesterday.  It was mostly sagebrush, with some fields and farms.




Crowheart Butte was visible for miles.  There's an interesting story about how it got its name.  I'm not sure what I think of the last sentence in that sign.



As we got closer to Riverton, there were some horse farms.



The ride was mostly downhill, so it should've been an easy day, but there was a strong headwind most of the day.  It made the ride more exhausting than it should've been.

We rode in a mostly southeasterly direction today and had winds coming at us from the southeast.  Tomorrow our ride to Worland is also mostly downhill, but toward the north, and the winds are forecast to come from the north.  No rest for the weary, maybe.

2 comments:

  1. How do you manage all the pictures, I wonder? Do you stop to click? Click from the saddle? Have something rigged to click when you blink? Amazing pictures, Diana! Thanks for the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stop and take pictures. I'm not coordinated enough to click while I'm pedaling!

    ReplyDelete