Saturday, July 23, 2016

Day 35 Hutchinson, MN to Northfield, MN

I was out on the road by about 7:00 AM, and the temperature was already a muggy 77º.  The forecast called for rain, so I was carrying my rain poncho in my rear pack.  Most people use rain jackets, but in the heat, I'd just sweat so much that I'd be wet inside and out.

Between Hutchinson and Arlington, I saw a nice old barn.  (You can see how muggy it was.)


There was also a small cemetery by the side of the road.  It didn't have a gate, fences, or anything.


I stopped at this bakery in Arlington and had an orange juice and a sugar cookie.  (Yes, that's a healthy bike snack.)  Margaret and Allen are just arriving, and you can see Jerry inside.

  
Not long after I left, the rain started.  Then, it poured.  Then, came the deluge.  The rain was coming down so hard, and at an angle, that it hurt when it hit my sore, sun-burned lips.  My shoes were soaked.  I could feel my feet sloshing around in them.  I could see lightning flashes, and I was trying to count the seconds until the thunder boomed, to see if the storm was moving away.  

I was pedaling/swimming along, when I heard my name called.  Several riders were waiting out the worst of the storm in a large garage.  Lee had approached the house just as the owners were coming home, and they opened up their garage to us.  We waited a few minutes, then headed back out in the rain (that we hoped would ease up soon).

It did.  It even stopped for a bit, and I shot this picture.  


It rained off and on much of the day, and the rain cooled down the temperatures a lot.  Later in the day, I passed through a town, and the temperature then was 74º.  A humid 74º, but still, 74º.  

I passed another interesting (to me) barn.  


My thought for the rainy day was, "At least it's not hot."  It was windy and rainy, but "at least it's not hot."  It wasn't easy (or fun) riding in the wind and rain, but . . . . "at least it's not hot!"

We finally reached Northfield and St. Olaf College, where we're staying in the dorms for our rest day tomorrow.  


Several of us got together and went to an excellent dinner at The Ole Store Restaurant, a few blocks from the campus.  Thanks to Sue White for the recommendation.  The food was excellent!  We all left satisfied and ready to enjoy a day of not riding.   (From left to right:  Tom, Pam, Ken, Jose, George, Harry, Barb, Hilary, and Tony.)



The campus is not far from the Malt-O-Meal plant.  The air around here smells like fresh-baked cookies to me!  

No comments:

Post a Comment