Thursday, July 21, 2016

Day 33 Watertown, SD to Montevideo, MN

This morning, when I left the cool, air-conditioned gym at Watertown Middle School, I walked out into air that was so thick you could almost see it.  It wasn't even 7 AM and it was already warm and really humid.  I worried about the rest of the day.

We headed east and into a head wind.  Fortunately, it wasn't too bad and the wind helped cool things down a little.

Here are some last views of this part of South Dakota.






We reached Minnesota, our sixth state!


Did you know that tiny Madison, MN (population 1,551) is the Lutefisk Capital of the USA?   Lou the Fish was there to welcome us.  Uff da!



Madison is also home to a cool vintage Skelly Oil gas station.


We rode by lots of corn fields.  This is what Minnesota corn looks like.


Corn's to the left of me, soybean's to the right, here I am.


It was a long, hot, humid afternoon, riding to Montevideo.  The weather wasn't as bad as I'd feared it would be, but it still felt like I was in a steam room, where someone forgot to open a window to cool things off.  It was windy all day, but it was never too bad, and it helped blow the sweat off my face.

Luckily for me (and Barb), there was a Dairy Freeze about a mile from our destination!  I was able to recharge and rehydrate with my drink of choice, a root beer float.   (Shelly and Scott beat us to it.)


It's unbearably hot outside, so once again, I'm choosing to sleep in the gym.  Tonight's low, like last night, is supposed to be in the 70s.  That's too warm!

FYI:  Montevideo is not pronounced like it's Italian or Spanish, as you might think.  The locals say "Mont-uh-VID-ee-oh."

No comments:

Post a Comment