Thursday, July 7, 2016

Day 19 Worland, WY to Buffalo, WY

After breakfast at the Ranchitas restaurant in Worland, we headed east on US 16.  We rode up and down and up and down (many, many times) rolling hills in the desert.


At one point, I saw an antelope next to the highway, and he wasn't afraid of me at all!


We came to the little town of Ten Sleep, and things suddenly got very colorful.  There were red rocks, green fields, and it looked nice a really nice little town (population 260).  



A few miles out of Ten Sleep, we started what our cue sheet said was a "25-mile climb."   We rode along Ten Sleep Creek, up into the Bighorn National Forest on the way to Powder River Pass (elevation 9,666 feet).  


The scenery was beautiful!  We rode next to Ten Sleep Creek many times.  




It was also a long, long uphill climb.   Below, you can see the road just pedaled. 


When I got to the lunch stop at about mile 48, I knew I couldn't go any further.  Without going into too much detail, I have IT band syndrome on my left hip, and all that relentless climbing was making it ache.  

Barb, however, did the whole ride!  Awesome job!


Tonight we are staying at Buffalo High School (home of the Bison) in Buffalo, WY.


This is another very cute town that I'd like to come back to.  I think I need to retrace this trip in a car some day!

No comments:

Post a Comment