Friday, July 8, 2016

Day 20 Buffalo, WY to Gillette, WY

Normally, Cycle America uses I-90 as the route from Buffalo to Gillette.  It's a 70-mile ride along a freeway with wide shoulders.

However, there is construction on parts of the freeway, so we had to take an alternate route.  Fortunately, the alternate route was a quiet highway that often has good shoulders.  Unfortunately, the alternate route was 100 miles.

The early part of the ride today was great.  The weather was cool, it was green, and the road was quiet.





There are probably more cows in Wyoming than people.  Here's someone's future hamburger, sitting contentedly in a field.


From a distance, these sheep at first looked like bales of hay.  But, they were moving, so I figured it out.


There were also several antelope hanging out in the fields.



By noon, it was getting warm.  At about mile 62, we stopped at the little "town" of Spotted Horse, population 2.

There was a historic marker about Astor's expedition to the Pacific Northwest.  It went along with the book "Astoria," that I read recently.



Then, I went in to the Spotted Horse Store/Bar.  It was one of about two toilet stops along the whole route.  So, to be a good customer, I bought a Sprite, then asked to use the bathroom.  The owner was concerned about all the people using their toilet, saying it was too much, and that we should use the outhouse out back.




That was fine with me, so I went back there.  It was a nice little outhouse, with a crescent moon painted on the door.  I went in, pulled the door shut, which was hard to do, did what I needed to do, and went to open the door.  I pushed the door to open it, but instead of opening, it fell completely off the hinges and straight onto the ground!!  I looked around, and no one saw me, so I pulled the door off the ground, leaned it against the outhouse, and quickly walked back to the front of the store.  Sorry, Spotted Horse citizens!

As the day wore on, it got hotter and hotter.  The landscape got more barren, with more sagebrush, fewer farms, and less to see.



I spotted another antelope, which is always a treat for me.  (I am easily amused.)


I also saw the first sign advertising Wall Drug!



We are staying at a really nice middle school in Gillette, which apparently is the Energy Capital of the Nation.  Who knew?


We did this same ride eight years ago on The Big Ride.  It was a long difficult, not too enjoyable day then.  It hasn't changed, eight years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment