Monday, July 18, 2016

Day 30 Pierre, SD to Miller, SD

The word for today was wind.  Wind, as in head wind, cross wind, and all too rarely, tail wind.  South Dakota is one windy state, and the song that runs through my head is:

"Soooouuuuuuuth . . . Dakota where the wind comes sweeping down the plain . . . "

We left Pierre this morning and rode (into a head wind) along the Missouri River.




I got my first glimpse of a crop that I will be seeing much more of in the next couple weeks.


South Dakota history and the view from that site.



A last glimpse of the Missouri River before we turned away from it (and into a cross wind).


We rode for many miles through the Crow Creek Indian Reservation.


There were lots of sunflowers along the side of the highway.  I really like them, and you can see how they're being blown about by the wind.


An old abandoned house on the prairie.  I like that there's a bird in flight above it.


Wind should be the main crop of South Dakota.


As we got closer to Miller, the land was very flat.  Here are some views from the last several miles into Miller.




Right before we turned into the town of Miller, there's a Dairy Queen on the corner.  I remember stopping there in 2008, and the thought of having a root beer float is what kept me going today.  What I thought would be an easy ride was made pretty difficult by the wind.

Tomorrow, we will hit the halfway mark in terms of mileage on this Cycle America trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment