Thursday, July 14, 2016

Day 26 Rapid City, SD to Interior, SD

Last night, I slept in my tent, and it wasn't freezing.  I woke up really early (as usual) and laid around for awhile, trying to go back to sleep, when all of a sudden a monsoon started.

But it wasn't a monsoon.  The automatic sprinklers came on, and my tent was right in the line of fire . . . I mean, water.  Fortunately, it stopped after 30 minutes, and other than being soaked on the outside, my tent did well.

After packing up my wet tent and having a great breakfast, we left Rapid City.  Riding through downtown Rapid City during rush hour wasn't fun, but very soon we were out in the country.  It was quite a different landscape than we'd seen in previous days.


We made a quick stop at the cute little Caputa Store.  Barb, Allen, and Margaret (from CO) are posing in front.


They grow ammonites in South Dakota?


We saw the rare blue Dakota dinosaur!


The landscape started getting drier and drier.


Our lunch stop was in the little ghost town of Scenic.



How can cute little prairie dogs have the plague?!


We rode through a little corner of The Badlands.


Tomorrow we will ride through The Badlands, but we still got several glimpses of it in the distance.  It's amazing to me how much the landscape has changed in just a long day's bike ride away.




We're at a campground in the tiny town of Interior, SD.  What a view!



Today was nearly 80 miles, but with only 1,355 feet of elevation gain, so it wasn't too bad!  It's weird when an 80 mile day feels easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment