Monday, August 1, 2016

Day 44 Ludington, MI to Farwell, MI

Could there be a nearly 95-mile day that's easy?  Yes!  That was today!

We left Ludington and rode on quiet back roads.  There were corn and soybean fields, pumpkins, orchards, flowers, and wooded areas.  It was really nice!






I also passed by an Amish buggy.  It was next to a vegetable stand that was not Amish, so it might've just been yard art.  I still like it.


Our lunch stop was at an important place in African American history.  Idlewild was a resort that black people could go to during segregation.



The Flamingo Club was an important part of Idlewild.



We ate lunch on the shores of Idlewild Lake.


After lunch, we rode up and down a few small hills to the town of Reed City, where we got on the Pere Marquette State Trail, a really nice paved bike path.  (In the winter, it's a snowmobile path.)  There was a water stop there, and while I was moving my bike, my saddle broke!  One of the ribs that attaches to the seat post snapped in two.


It couldn't have happened at a better time.  Scott, one of our mechanics, was there.  He called Larkin, the other mechanic, who arrived with the van, which had a couple spare saddles.  He set me up with one, and I was on my way.

The bike path was great!  We rode on it for over 35 miles.  It was flat, scenic, and away from traffic.  I took several pictures along the way.



This might be the Muskegon River.






There were several of these markers along the way.  They had "SAG" at the top, and a number underneath.  Mileage to Saginaw?


We are now in Farwell, and tomorrow we get to ride more of the bike path!

1 comment:

  1. Everytime I look at your blog I hear "America" by Simon and Garfunkel. Which was supposedly written in Saginaw,MI.

    ReplyDelete