Saturday, August 13, 2016

Day 56 Star Lake, NY to Lake Placid, NY

The weather forecast yesterday said that there was a better than 50% chance of rain (possibly thunderstorms) today, so I was prepared.  I wore my toe covers, carried my Tyvek STP jacket and my poncho, and hoped for the best.

When we left Star Lake, the sky was dark gray, with no sign of sun anywhere.


Except for a very small part of the ride, we were on Highway 3 all the way from Star Lake to Lake Placid.  It's a special Scenic Byway!


Most of the highway was through wooded areas.  There were all kinds of trees in the woods - deciduous and evergreen.  It could've been a road in Western Washington.  It's sort of hard to believe that we're in New York.


This is the Raquette River.  At this point, it was raining.  I had first started with my Tyvek jacket, but got too sweaty with it on, so I took it off and just got wet in the rain.  Later, it started pouring, so I put on my poncho.


By the time I got to the lunch stop at a park in Tupper Lake, it was pouring rain.  Fortunately, they were able to provide us lunch in a large covered area.


There were some beautiful views along the way, especially after the rain eased off.



In the town of Saranac Lake, Barb got a flat tire.  She was all prepared to change it herself, but several support vehicles happened by all at once, and Scott got out and took over.  I don't think Barb minded a bit!


These are two views of Lake Flower.



After a hilly but great ride, we finally reached Lake Placid.  There are a lot of Olympic venues here, very close to Lake Placid High School, our home for the next two nights.  I hope to see more tomorrow, my final rest day on Cycle America.


After getting set up in the gym (because of the weather forecast), Barb, Pam, and I headed to the closest laundromat, a several minute walk from the school.  It wasn't a fancy laundromat, and lots of things didn't work, but we finally got things settled and started doing laundry.  Then, it started raining.  Then, it started pouring.  Then, the stairs down to the laundromat started looking like a waterfall.


Allen and Margaret were also there.  When they opened up the dryer, their clothes were wet.  And dirty.  And rain water was pouring out of that dryer onto the floor!  We were in the laundromat from hell!!


Eventually, the rain let up enough for us to go across the street (with our bags of clean clothes) to a great Blues restaurant.  Eventually, Ken, Jose, Hillary, Tony (from MI), Curt, and Nathan joined us for dinner.

We finished dinner just in time to walk back to the school in the rain.  Carrying our bags of clean clothes.

It was a wet day today, but amazingly, out of the 49 days we've ridden, only three have been rainy.  We've been pretty lucky so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment