Saturday, August 6, 2016

Day 49 Port Dover, ON to Niagara Falls, ON

What a difference a day makes.  We woke up to crisp, dry air, so my tent was dry when I packed it up.  It's always nice when that happens.

Since we were camping at the Norfolk Conservation Area, we had to ride about 6 miles to Port Dover for breakfast.  It was at the same place we had dinner last night - The Grace United Church.  Both meals were excellent.

On the way to Port Dover, there's a HUGE mansion being built.  There was speculation that it belonged to the only rich Canadian most of us could think of:  Justin Bieber.   We learned from one of the men at the church that it belongs to a rich farmer.


We rode along quiet roads again, and I love the colors of the wheat and blue sky.


We rode on the Waterfront Trail again, and this time we actually rode along Lake Erie!  It was really nice, riding by all sorts of vacation cabins, small farms, and campgrounds.



While riding, I glanced over at one of the houses and saw someone that looked like my friend Lori.  I didn't stop.  I knew she was in Ontario, but thought she was on Lake Huron.  It turns out it was her, and she saw me, too.

Here are the two Barbaras on the trip.  Barbara from NY (who turned 70 yesterday) and Barb.


There are Canada Geese in Canada!




We turned inland and once again rode along quiet country roads.  I like taking pictures of animals.  After I took the picture, the cow on the left stood up to check me out.


Most of the road signs in Ontario are very similar to ours, but not this one.  It's everywhere, and I like it!


After lunch, we started riding through more small towns, and Pelham Township was really nice.  The streets were lined with large trees and the houses were very nice.  A little girl named Mia had a lemonade stand, so Barb and I stopped for a cool drink.


One of the fun parts of today was the ferry across the Welland Canal (the folks in charge determined that running a ferry was cheaper than making a bridge).  It's a very small ferry.  It can only hold 5 bikes at a time.  The guys there said they were very busy today!



Larkin is being ferried across the canal.


A pink bike!  I know what a white bike means, but not pink.


Niagara Falls!  I made it.  The hardest part was riding down Lundy's Lane to our hotel.  It's a very busy four-lane street.


After doing laundry, I, along with Lori, Barb, Pam, Ken, and several others went out for Thai food.  It was excellent and so different than our usual dinner fare (pasta).  Tomorrow will be spent exploring the Niagara Falls!

No comments:

Post a Comment