Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Day 53 Seneca Falls, NY to Oswego, NY

Last night, as I was sleeping in the gym at the school in Seneca Falls, I saw the lights on the ceiling flickering on and off.  I sleepily thought, "Hmm, I wonder why they're flickering."

Then, I remembered that they weren't lights.  They were skylights.  It was lightning!  Later, I heard the thunder.  Fortunately, for those sleeping in their tents and for all of us riding, the rain stopped by morning.

It was a gray humid morning as we pedaled to our breakfast location, which was also our dinner location last night.  We ate in the cafeteria of the New York Chiropractic College.  I've learned that chiropractic students do not require high quality gourmet food.


We headed out and got some last looks at Seneca Lake, one of the Finger Lakes.



We rode up and down hills, turning left and right, over and over again.  This was another day where I never knew in which direction I was riding.  It often felt like they were sending us in circles!

Eventually we came to another one of the Finger Lakes, Owasco Lake


We passed through the very fancy town of Skaneateles.  (I don't remember how to pronounce it.  I just know it's not pronounced like it looks.). There were really large, fancy homes on the lake.  I'd call them mansions.  One of the riders was told that the Roosevelts have (had?) a summer home here.

The downtown is very nice.


Skaneateles Lake (another Finger Lake) is very nice, too.


When we weren't passing through small towns, we were out in the country.




Baldwinsville is a bit larger than some of the towns we've passed through.  The Erie Canal runs through it.


Our lunch stop was there, at a park along the banks of the Seneca River.


At our last water stop, Barb and I were looking at our cue sheet and at the map, wondering if there was a more direct route to Oswego.  (We were both very tired of feeling like we were riding in circles.)  After checking Google maps on her phone and checking with a bike shop in Fulton, we decided to go off-route and take Highway 48 straight to Oswego, instead of following the Cycle America route.  Even though it was more direct, and probably less hilly, we only saved about two miles.

But, two miles is two miles, and we did pass by an ice cream shop, so it's all good!

I saw this little guy at the high school in Oswego, where we're staying.


We had dinner at the SUNY Oswego dining hall, and we'll have breakfast there tomorrow.  It's a beautiful campus, right on the shore of Lake Ontario.  After that, we're off to Watertown, NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment