Thursday, August 4, 2016

Day 47 Memphis, MI to West Lorne, ON, Canada

We left Memphis this morning on the same rough roads that we rode in on.  It felt strange to me to ride east and south to get to Canada, since in my world, Canada has always been north.  Maybe that's why I missed two turns on the route this morning.  Or maybe I was just not focused.  Twice, Barb had to yell, "Diana, turn!"

Obviously, since I'm here, I didn't get lost.

We got to Marine City, MI, and stopped at a great little coffee shop.  I had a chai tea latte and biscotti.


There was a great mural a block from the coffee shop.


Marine City is the place where we caught the ferry across the St. Clair River to Canada.  It's a small ferry that holds maybe 12 cars?  It's $2 for a bicyclist.  

Here's the ferry approaching the dock.




Here's the sign that passengers approaching Marine City would see.  It's the sign we saw as we left the U.S.


A huge tanker truck was on the ferry with us.  It took up one whole row of the boat (there were three).  The bicyclists got on last, so we were next to it.  I like the reflection on the tank.   Margaret, Allen, and Jose are pictured here.


Here's a view of the river from the ferry.


Once we got off the ferry, we had to wait in line to go through customs.  It was quick and easy, and then we were on our way.


I'm in Canada!


This part of Ontario looked a lot like Michigan.  It was different, though, in that the road quality was better, drivers were polite (they all shared the road!), and there were no Trump signs anywhere!





One difference is that the roads we were on today had no shoulder to ride on.  There was just gravel, so it's a good thing that the drivers were polite.


This caught my eye.  I don't know why it was made, but the gravestones were pretty old.  I took pictures of a few of them.




This sign was not far from West Lorne.  Is there a risk of road signs colliding?


We're staying at a school in West Lorne, a nice little town not far from Lake Erie.  We can't see the lake from here, but we'll be riding along it most of the day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment