Friday, August 19, 2016

Day 62 Fryeburg, ME to Durham, NH

Today, the penultimate day of Cycle America, was another great day of riding.  The moon was up over the Fryeburg Fairgrounds as we were getting ready to leave.



At breakfast, we celebrated Tony's 73rd birthday.  He is a strong, amazing rider, and he did this same ride six years ago.  I only hope I can do something like this when I'm close to his age.


We rode through quiet tree-lined Maine roads, past many old cemeteries, beautiful lakes, and old stone walls.  The trees and lakes remind me of the Northwest.  The cemeteries and stone walls let me know that I'm in New England.





These scare "people" were standing outside someone's property.  Strange!



All through New England, I'd see these old houses that are connected to their barn.  They're very interesting!


School Street!  My ride's almost over, and that's where I'll be soon.


About 26 miles into the ride, we crossed into New Hampshire again.


It was time for a break.  Lee, Bud, Jim, Hilary, and Ilene are enjoying sitting on someplace other than a bike.


Freedom, NH!


More stone walls and old cemeteries.  There are so many old cemeteries that we pass by.  I'd really love to stop and look at all the names and dates if I had more time.




New Hampshire school history.


Another typical New England church in the town of Effingham, NH.


About 10 miles after we left Maine, we're back in it.


Here's a beautiful lake on the ME/NH border.


Two miles after we went back to Maine, we left and went back to New Hampshire.  That's it.  No more border crossings for the day.


It was a really pretty day, as you can see in this New Hampshire scene.


This is a historic old house.  I would've loved to had time to visit it.  That's what happens when you're not a fast rider.  No time!



As we got closer to Durham, the landscape became less rural, there was more traffic, more roads, more homes, etc.  In order to stay off the busy highways, we were routed onto many side streets.  We were turning left, right, left, right, over and over again.

Finally, we got to Durham, the home of the University of New Hampshire.  It's a very pretty town, and I had what may be my last root beer float of the summer.  It was very good!


After dinner, we had our last Cycle America meeting and awards.  I was very touched that both Hilary and Barb gave me awards.

Tomorrow is our final ride, when we finish in Gloucester, MA.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Diana,

    I enjoyed reading your post daily and appreciate you taking the time to share your adventure.
    Happy you made it safely and may God bless you and your mother through this time in life with living with Alzheime.

    ReplyDelete