Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Day 60 Stowe, VT to Littleton, NH

Last night it was pouring, and I was worried that we'd have to start out riding in hard rain.  We didn't!  The rain eased off, and it was mostly dry and not too warm as we left Stowe.  It felt like spring or fall at home.

I took some pictures along the way this morning, and the photos show that the clouds are getting darker and drearier as the morning goes on.





I didn't see any moose.  At least not in the allowed 1,500 feet.


By the lunch stop at Joe's Pond, VT, it was pretty wet out.


I think the duck wanted some of our food.


This little pedestrian covered bridge was not far from our lunch stop.  It's not old (1977), but I like it anyway.


We got on Highway 2 for awhile.  I'm told that this is the same Highway 2 that goes east from Everett, WA.


Here are some more Vermont views.



Peacham is a very cute and historic town.





Riding through Vermont on a bicycle is not easy.  The road conditions are, for the most part, horrible, and there's usually no shoulder.  There are also large trucks and fast cars on all the roads, even the roads that seem like they should be quiet country roads.  Finally, Vermont is the only state where a driver yelled at me to "Get off the f---ing road!"

So, goodbye Vermont!  After crossing the Connecticut River, we said, "Hello New Hampshire!"



I love the symbol for the state highways in New Hampshire.  It's The Old Man of the Mountain.


We were on another Scenic Byway.


Here are some views on the way to Littleton.






The welcome to Littleton sign advertises it as "The Main Street of the Mountains."  It's a cute little town.  It's got a neat old library and a church with a steeple, the kind I've seen in a lot of the little towns we've ridden through.




We're staying at the high school, and to get to the school, you have to go up a VERY steep hill.  As I was struggling up that hill, a man was taking pictures of me.  I learned later that he's from the newspaper.  I didn't get interviewed, so I may not make the cut.  We'll see.

Today's ride was good, but tough, with nearly 5,000 feet of climbing.  We were going up and down all day long.  Tomorrow we go to Maine, and we'll go through another "notch," but with half as much climbing as today.  It should be a great ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment