Monday, August 8, 2016

Day 51 Niagara Falls, ON to Geneseo, NY, USA

After breakfast, we left the hotel in Niagara Falls and rode less than three miles to the Rainbow Bridge.  I got a couple last photos of Niagara Falls.



The bridge connects Canada and the U.S., so that's where we waited to go through customs.  Even early on Monday morning, there was quite a long wait.  There were riders in front of me and in back of me.  



We had been warned to be very serious with the U.S. customs agents and to not speak unless spoken to.  I was prepared to do just that, but the agent who I talked to was very pleasant!  She asked about the bike trip, and I told her that when I'm climbing hills and it's 95º, I think, "And I paid to do this!"

I'm now in New York!  


Niagara Falls, NY is just as unpleasant, if not more, than Niagara Falls, ON.  We rode a long way through urban industrial areas and then along a body of water that I later learned is the Niagara River.  


The further away from Niagara Falls we got, the more pleasant the neighborhoods became.  I passed by a really beautiful building in Williamsville.  It's the Hindu Cultural Center.


This was a nice area to ride in.


This is not a nice area to ride in.  The barbed wire is keeping people in and out of the prison in Wende.


This sign has very good advice.


I like the clouds in this scene.  They remind me of Prince's outfit in the video for the song "Raspberry Beret."  Guess what song was in my head after that.


We rode through the town of Attica, which is very old.  It's a very cute town with a lot of old buildings and old houses.


Molasses Hill Road is a terrible name for a road, especially if you have to ride UP it, like we did today.  Here's Margaret taking a break (Allen is out of the range of the camera), while Barb is pedaling uphill.


Besides Molasses Hill, there were quite a few other very steep hills, one after the other.  It was like doing the Felida Hill, over and over again!


When we finally got close to Geneseo, I could see the campus of S.U.N.Y. Geneseo ahead on the right.  And, yes, it's up another hill.  (Ilene and her husband Dave are riding toward the campus.)


We are staying on campus, but not in dorms.  It's just like when we're at schools.  We get to sleep in the gym or camp outside.  I'm outside.

Tomorrow is our last 90+ mile day.  I think it will be beautiful, since we're going through the Finger Lakes area, but it's also going to be very hilly! 

1 comment: