Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Day 59 Plattsburgh, NY to Stowe, VT

At our meeting last night after dinner, the news was ominous.  First, the weather forecast was for rain and possible thunderstorms for both Plattsburgh and Stowe.  Second, the place we were going to stay in Stowe was a campground, with no chance for sleeping indoors.  Third, the ride description was scary!  We were going to ride up and over Smugglers' Notch, and the descent was supposed to be very steep and dangerous.

Fortunately, things didn't turn out as bad as I feared.

We left the dorm at SUNY Plattsburgh, had breakfast in the cafeteria, and headed to the ferry.  The temperature was cool and the skies were cloudy, but clear.  Looking east, Lake Champlain was beautiful in the morning sun.


We got to the ferry dock, paid our $5.25, and got on.  It was a fairly quick ride across the lake to Grand Isle, VT.







I'm disappointed with Vermont.  They didn't put up a "Welcome to Vermont" sign for us.  They do, however, take care of their turtles.


Their cows are too skinny, though.


I love this old barn.


Here's a view of the road and the hills ahead that we have to somehow get over/around.


This is the only photographic evidence proving that I'm in Vermont.


Here are some more views along the way.




Our lunch stop was in the town of Jeffersonville.  We were able to sample Barbara's cheese.  It was really good!!  She just calls it "Barbara's Cheese," but I'd say it's like Tillamook's Vintage White Cheddar.




Right after lunch, we started our ascent to Smugglers' Notch.  There were some steep climbs, some gentle climbs, and some places where it leveled out for awhile.  It was long, but not as hard as I'd feared.  I feel like I'm a stronger rider than when I started this ride in June, so getting up that big climb made me feel good.  Here are some views along the way up.






It started raining lightly just as I reached the summit.  It's really pretty up there, and I imagine that it'd be gorgeous in the fall when all the leaves change.





The descent was as steep and scary as they described.  Since it was steep, it was raining harder, and I was worried that the road would be slippery, I walked the steepest part of the descent.

There are a lot of ski resorts on the road down to Stowe.  Here's just one of many.


Stowe is a cute, touristy town.  This church is sort of a symbol of the town.  Any picture of Stowe for tourists has this church in it.


If it wasn't raining so much, downtown Stowe would be a nice place to walk around.  So, last night, during our meeting, Barb called the hotel that has given Cycle America riders a discount, and they had rooms available for tonight!  We're not camping in the rain!  I'm so glad, because right now it's pouring, and it probably will be all night.

Tomorrow we leave Vermont and head to New Hampshire.  Probably in the rain . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment