Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Day 3 Wenatchee to Coulee Dam

If there could be a perfect day to ride 103 miles, today was it.  It wasn't too warm, winds were calm, and it was a gorgeous day.

We left Wenatchee and crossed over the Columbia River.  



Then, came the dreaded Orondo Grade.  It's a 6 mile hill with a 6-7% grade.  It just goes up and up and up!  I've ridden it twice before, and I suffered.  Ever since I found out we were going to do it on this ride, I've worried about it.

Today?  It was okay!  It was still hard, but the cool temperatures helped.  So did my cool new bike.  Maybe I'm even in okay shape?  Anyway, I did it!  Math question:  If I travel up a 6 mile hill at an average speed of 4.5 mph, how long will it take?  

Barb is speeding up the hill.


The path just pedaled.



The road not yet taken.


The rest of the ride was along very quiet country roads with little to no traffic.  We passed by fields of wheat and sage brush.  The smell of sage brush always reminds me of camping in this area with my grandparents when I was a kid.  

Today's scenery couldn't be beat.  




The loneliest water stop.


Now, we are in the little town of Grand Coulee.  It's right next to that dam that you might've heard of.


The song of the day today was "Roll On, Columbia, Roll On."  Let it be your ear worm.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you conquered your Orondo Grade nemesis. Roll on, Diana, Roll on!

    ReplyDelete