Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Day 10 Lincoln, MT to Townsend, MT

Late last night, I woke up to rain!  Fortunately, it didn't last long, and it was gone by morning.  The tent was wet, but that wasn't a problem.

The morning was great!  It was cool, the scenery was gorgeous, and I felt good.




Today was the day to climb Flesher Pass, which is also the Continental Divide.  It was a beautiful ride up and not as hard as I thought it would be.  Actually, of all the passes we've pedaled across so far, this was the easiest for me.

Hilary and Kelly are looking forward to more climbing!


There's the road just pedaled.


Barb is reaching the summit.



I made it!




Tony, the 72-year old from the Netherlands, arrived at the top just before I did.  I heard a big crowd of people calling, "Tony, Tony!" and cheering.  It turns out that there was a group of Dutch tourists on motorcycles who happened to be at the summit just as he was arriving.  It was fun to see all of them together.




After we left the summit, it was a long fun descent.  (I am a descent rider.)


Down on the flat lands, we stopped at the Canyon Creek Store.  It's a great little shop with snacks, groceries, antiques, and it has the cutest outhouse ever.



The scenery has changed.



We rode up and down Birdseye Road, then made our way into Helena.  Downtown Helena looks like a great place to visit (without a bike).  Soon, we passed by the capitol building.



Not far from there are a couple museums with great public art outside.



After the leaving Helena, we were on the highway all the way to Townsend.  It was loud, hot, and not too fun.  The last 20 miles of this 90-mile day were really hard.





As soon as I got to camp, it started to rain.  Many thanks to Pam and Jose for helping me quickly put up my tent!

We had a great dinner at the Wood Family Grill.  Tomorrow, we stay on the same highway all the way to Ennis, MT.

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoying your pictures, I especially like the ones that show how immense the sky looks.

    ReplyDelete